Oakland plantation house was built prior to the Revolutionary War; sometime between 1750 and 1770. Research and investigation of details in the cellar and the attic, or in other words, the “unfinished” or “uncovered” areas of the house, hold strong indications of the dates given above—plus architectural features on the interiors and exteriors on all floors. Also, documents and family tradition bear out these dates.
The large pillars supporting the house are constructed of brick made in the old kiln on the property. The sills are hand-hewn, unbled pine, at least 18 inches wide and extend the length and breadth of the house without piecing. The piazza once extended along the sides. Inside, the rooms have solid pine-board wainscoting, about two feet wide.