St. Matthews Parish Episcopal Church
The parish was established in 1765-1768. The present structure was built in 1851-1852; its style is Gothic with Greek Revival influence. In 1800, the church site was moved from the public road from Charleston to Columbia near Halfway Swamp, and again in 1815 to a two-acre plot of land given by Andrew Heatly. The present building is the fourth church building used by the congregation. A communion service presented to the church by Mrs. Ann Heatly Reid Lovell in 1819 is still in use, as is a chalice given by Tacitus Gaillard in 1777.